Pages

Tuesday 29 January 2019

GIVE AND TAKE


I tendered my resistance
It had little use for me,
And squandered my ambition,
Split the honey from the bee.
Invested hope and charity
Courage, charm and care,
Then gave away my Eden aids,
Red apple, dappled pear.
 
She took from me my gold,
From my manger took the straw
My seeing was already lost
With mine eyes what she saw
Was not what she expected,
Just poverty and pain,
She had no use for these
So she gave them back again.
 
I gave her thatch and roof
To keep her safe and warm,
From elementary dangers
Jack Frost, wet rain and storm.
She took from me my spirit
Long before I passed away,
Stretched the darkest hours
And shortened every day.
 
She stole away my laughter
My secrets and my joy,
Relieved of my innocence
I became a broken toy.
Then I became her ferryman,
One-way ticket down the track,
She borrowed too my heart,
It’s nigh time to claim it back.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment